I am so happy to be back on my blog! I have been dealing with a few daunting health issues and I have never been more thankful for my family! My parents were able to come up to help with things when I was unable to do much. Between helping with my two precious kiddos or feeding and caring for my backyard flock, my parents proved that nothing is as important as family. I pray that all of you had a wonderful Fourth of July with your families. I know I did. I was privileged enough to spend half of the day with my hubby’s family and the other half with my parents. God has truly blessed me and my family. Life isn’t always easy or fun, but if you keep your eyes open you will be constantly reminded of all you have been given.
I ordered these from a hatchery and they came in the middle of March. I ordered two of each kind but the other Pekin died within hours of arrival. When they arrived I noticed the white Pekin in the picture above had a spot on her side. I dismissed it as a skin discoloration. She acted fine and was eating and drinking so I thought nothing of it. After about a week I noticed the spot had grown quickly and was turning green and I had absolutely no idea what to do. I was scouring the internet looking to see if anyone had encountered something similar, no luck. I made the decision to use the knowledge I had from treating my chickens. I gave her a shot of Tylan (which is mainly for respiratory issues). I knew it may not work but I had to try because I could tell it was an infection and she was so small I knew it would kill her quickly. I also coated the infection with vaseline to seal it. (That was an idea I got from another blogger). After giving her the first shot she was tired but the next morning seemed a tad better. I gave her three shots of it total and then I just waited. She limped around for about two weeks because the infection had gotten into her side under her wing. She was also picking at it a bunch so I coated it with Blu-Kote and then she left it alone (she quickly learned it tasted nasty….which was obvious from her having a purple bill the next day). I have been waiting to put them on here until I knew for sure she was going to be OK. Well, the Tylan worked. The infection is all gone and her feathers grew in over the area. She is the sweetest girl! We have named her Mango after my daughters favorite fruit:)
Well, it has been a busy couple of weeks!
A few days ago my husband went out to the coop to fill up the feed can and came back and said I had a dead chicken laying there. So I went to the coop to check it out and I look all around and check for signs of what predator was in there. I am checking everywhere when I spot a grey silkie in the corner…but wait…I dont have a grey silkie. Then it turns and looks at me and it’s a huge possum! It is cowering in a corner so I locked up the coop and ran to get super hubby to get it out. He quickly disposed of the problem and I noticed a huge hole it dug in the corner. I think I actually locked it in the coop with my poor chickens. What a day that was!
Well, since then the chickens have been a bit off. That first night after that about half of them slept under the deck. Now they are all back in the coop at night but I have a bunch that are now laying their eggs in the goat house. I had to put a bin in there filled with shavings for the little stinkers to lay their eggs in.
We had our first Easter party on Saturday and boy was that fun! I invited a few of my kids friends and it was crazy! I spent friday prepping and boiling about 85 eggs. That way each kiddo could dye a few and take them home. I gotta say….Kool-aid works REALLY well on brown eggs! I used green , blue and red colored Kool-aid and they turned out fantastic! I was peeling one earlier for lunch and boy did it smell fruity!
The last two weeks have been crazy! I have been struggling to just keep up with my day to day duties. We had the oh so nasty norovirus and I have been having migraines…and for those of you who have them like I do, you know how they can really put your life on hold.
But in the end I am thankful to the Lord because my family is happy and healthy!
I have also been excited because my first batch of chicks hatched from the incubator! Well sort of anyways.
I bought two batches of eggs off ebay and unfortunately they arrived on different days. If you have used an incubator before than you know that the last few days are crucial. The humidity must be raised for hatching. Well I didn’t really think the entire process through when I was incubating them together. I decided to do a dry hatch. I think overall it would have been perfect except I had to take out the first set of eggs three days early and stick them under my broody silkie hen. They pipped and peeped at the correct times but they couldn’t get out of their shells because the shells had become glued to their little bodies because there was no extra humidity and I have a wood stove burning which zaps a lot of the moisture out of the air.
There is a big rule when you have chicks hatching and that is “Never help them!”. I didn’t feel like I had any other choice. So I helped each one out and had to give them baths because they were soooooo sticky. Poor little things were so scared! I figured they were all goners, but boy was I wrong! They are all up and running! This first batch is Marans. So stinkin cute! The second batch will be Olive eggers. My silkie is so happy she finally hatched something!