So Thankful!

image

The last two weeks have been crazy!  I have been struggling to just keep up with my day to day duties.  We had the oh so nasty norovirus and I have been having migraines…and for those of you who have them like I do, you know how they can really put your life on hold.  
     But in the end I am thankful to the Lord because my family is happy and healthy! 
     I have also been excited because my first batch of chicks hatched from the incubator!  Well sort of anyways.
     I bought two batches of eggs off ebay and unfortunately they arrived on different days.   If you have used an incubator before than you know that the last few days are crucial.  The humidity must be raised for hatching.  Well I didn’t really think the entire process through when I was incubating them together.  I decided to do a dry hatch.  I think overall it would have been perfect except I had to take out the first set of eggs three days early and stick them under my broody silkie hen.  They pipped and peeped at the correct times but they couldn’t get out of their shells because the shells had become glued to their little bodies because there was no extra humidity and I have a wood stove burning which zaps a lot of the moisture out of the air.   
     There is a big rule when you have chicks hatching and that is “Never help them!”.   I didn’t feel like I had any other choice.  So I helped each one out and had to give them baths because they were soooooo sticky.  Poor little things were so scared!  I figured they were all goners, but boy was I wrong!  They are all up and running!  This first batch is Marans.  So stinkin cute!  The second batch will be Olive eggers.   My silkie is so happy she finally hatched something! 

Advertisements

Setting up my new incubator!

march 1 032march 1 033march 1 034

I set up my incubator on Monday (in the kitchen)  and I am praying that some of them hatch!  I felt like I had no idea what I was doing so I spent a lot of time on my laptop Googling on Monday.  I ordered the eggs off of eBay.  I wanted some new kinds to add to my flock and the hatchery I went through for my march order was sold out of some of what I wanted.  I ordered 8 Black Copper Maran eggs, and 6 Olive Egger eggs.  The sellers were kind enough to add plenty of extras!  They all arrived intact so I was ecstatic.  Last year I ordered some off of eBay and put them under a broody hen and that worked out great!  The best broody hen I have is my Silkie.   I can’t recommend them enough!  She is actually sitting on 3 banty eggs as we speak.  Poor girl doesn’t go too long before she has to go sitting on some.

Back to the subject at hand!  I am using the Farm Innovators 4200.  Love it!  So easy to set up.  Plus the foam interior is protected by a hard shell exterior.  There are temp and hygro gauges on the top as you can see in the pic.  I bought it off of Amazon.com for a good price.  I also purchased another temp and hydro gauge made by Meade.  Works perfectly!  I just set the included probe from the gauge on the eggs and then I can compare the different gauges to make sure my eggs are at a close temp of 99.5.  The hygrometer is essential so that I know I am not adding too much water.

Apparently I am ultra paranoid because I also found myself taking our forehead thermometer and swiping the eggs to see their exact temp.

I feel like a new mom who has no clue what they are getting into and tries way to hard to make sure everything is perfect for the upcoming baby.  But don’t worry I won’t be decorating the brooder when they hatch out!

I will keep you all updated on their progress.  I plan on candling them this weekend!