New additions to the family!

may 14, 2013 255

I ordered these from a hatchery and they came in the middle of March.  I ordered two of each kind but the other Pekin died within hours of arrival.  When they arrived I noticed the white Pekin in the picture above had a spot on her side.  I dismissed it as a skin discoloration.  She acted fine and was eating and drinking so I thought nothing of it.  After about a week I noticed the spot had grown quickly and was turning green and I had absolutely no idea what to do.  I was scouring the internet looking to see if anyone had encountered something similar, no luck.  I made the decision to use the knowledge I had from treating my chickens.  I gave her a shot of Tylan (which is mainly for respiratory issues).  I knew it may not work but I had to try because I could tell it was an infection and she was so small I knew it would kill her quickly.  I also coated the infection with vaseline to seal it.   (That was an idea I got from another blogger).  After giving her the first shot she was tired but the next morning seemed a tad better.  I gave her three shots of it total and then I just waited.  She limped around for about two weeks because the infection had gotten into her side under her wing.  She was also picking at it a bunch so I coated it with Blu-Kote and then she left it alone (she quickly learned it tasted nasty….which was obvious from her having a purple bill the next day).  I have been waiting to put them on here until I knew for sure she was going to be OK.  Well, the Tylan worked.  The infection is all gone and her feathers grew in over the area.  She is the sweetest girl!  We have named her Mango after my daughters favorite fruit:)

Easter party time!

My beautiful Ali girl!

My beautiful Ali girl!

 

My sweet neice Abby!

We had our first Easter party on Saturday and boy was that fun!  I invited a few of my kids friends and it was crazy!  I spent friday prepping and boiling about 85 eggs.  That way each kiddo could dye a few and take them home.  I gotta say….Kool-aid works REALLY well on brown eggs!  I used green , blue and red colored Kool-aid and they turned out fantastic!  I was peeling one earlier for lunch and boy did it smell fruity!

 

Setting up my new incubator!

march 1 032march 1 033march 1 034

I set up my incubator on Monday (in the kitchen)  and I am praying that some of them hatch!  I felt like I had no idea what I was doing so I spent a lot of time on my laptop Googling on Monday.  I ordered the eggs off of eBay.  I wanted some new kinds to add to my flock and the hatchery I went through for my march order was sold out of some of what I wanted.  I ordered 8 Black Copper Maran eggs, and 6 Olive Egger eggs.  The sellers were kind enough to add plenty of extras!  They all arrived intact so I was ecstatic.  Last year I ordered some off of eBay and put them under a broody hen and that worked out great!  The best broody hen I have is my Silkie.   I can’t recommend them enough!  She is actually sitting on 3 banty eggs as we speak.  Poor girl doesn’t go too long before she has to go sitting on some.

Back to the subject at hand!  I am using the Farm Innovators 4200.  Love it!  So easy to set up.  Plus the foam interior is protected by a hard shell exterior.  There are temp and hygro gauges on the top as you can see in the pic.  I bought it off of Amazon.com for a good price.  I also purchased another temp and hydro gauge made by Meade.  Works perfectly!  I just set the included probe from the gauge on the eggs and then I can compare the different gauges to make sure my eggs are at a close temp of 99.5.  The hygrometer is essential so that I know I am not adding too much water.

Apparently I am ultra paranoid because I also found myself taking our forehead thermometer and swiping the eggs to see their exact temp.

I feel like a new mom who has no clue what they are getting into and tries way to hard to make sure everything is perfect for the upcoming baby.  But don’t worry I won’t be decorating the brooder when they hatch out!

I will keep you all updated on their progress.  I plan on candling them this weekend!